1. Wind resource, Energy yields and Site-suitability Assessments:
- Comprehensive Wind Resource Analysis: Our SMEs perform various activities including detailed analysis of satellite data, analysis of LIDAR or Met mast data, data validation and quality control for on-site measure data, long-term measurements for on-site data, and shear analysis. This way we ensure that the site weather conditions are accurately captured for further feasibility analysis.
- Flow modelling: SgurrEnergy’s expertise extends beyond the conventional utilization of industry-standard software tools like WAsP and WindPRO. We possess a deep-seated comprehension of these models functionality within real-time fluid dynamics contexts, enabling us to enhance and refine their predictive capabilities for accurately gauging wind flow patterns across project sites using
topographical maps and on-site wind measurements. This proficiency proves instrumental in pinpointing project areas characterized by favourable wind conditions, facilitating strategic decision-making like micro-siting.
- Annual-Energy Production: Spatial extrapolations of wind conditions at each individual turbine are computed using the flow modelling techniques to estimate the Net Annual Energy Production figures encompassing the terrain features of the proposed wind project site. SgurrEnergy ensures that the predicted Net production figures accurately represent the real-time generation values by conducting a detailed loss analysis that includes wake losses, electrical losses, availability factors, noise and other environmental conditions that affect the performance of the wind project.
- Uncertainty analysis: Wind project revenue is often assessed on the basis of P75 and P90 probability levels. The higher the uncertainties, the higher will be the implications on financial aspects such as the cash flow and return on equity. At SgurrEnergy, these implications are accurately captured by conducting detailed uncertainty analysis using scientific methods so as to make informed decisions regarding turbine selection, layout design and operational strategies to ensure the long-term sustainability of the wind projects.
- Site-suitability assessments: Turbulent conditions at any project site alter the design requirements for any wind turbines considered for the project site. At SgurrEnergy, we perform detailed calculations to determine the wind zones according to the recommendations of various international standards such as the IEC 61400-1. This will help in computing site-specific turbulence and extreme wind speeds so as to assess the suitability of any wind farm layout.
2 . Operational performance analysis and yield assessment
SgurrEnergy’s Operational Performance Analysis and Yield Assessment service aims to give thorough insights into the effectiveness and productivity of wind farms. This service evaluates the operational facets of wind energy projects, identifying opportunities for optimization and enhanced performance through advanced analytics and expert assessment. SgurrEnergy enables wind farm owners and operators to make well-informed decisions that improve the overall efficiency and yield of their projects by fusing data-driven analysis with sector knowledge. The main committed services provided by SgurrEnergy are listed below.
Power Curve Assessment: Power curve performance testing serves two purposes: determining the economic viability of a wind project and confirming its adherence to expected performance standards. This enables investors to identify project underperformance and effectively reduce investment risks. The validation of warranties and regulatory compliance both depend on this type of testing. Additionally, it is suggested for projects located in open spaces and various other site circumstances. SgurrEnergy employs advanced tools to assess the deviation or percentage of conformity that individual wind turbines exhibit with respect to the IEC standards, enabling investors and developers to make informed decisions regarding the operational wind power project.
SCADA analysis: SgurrEnergy provides the following major services under SCADA analysis.
I. Downtime Analysis: Downtime analysis involves grid downtime data, plant downtime data, and examining SCADA data of individual turbines to identify why the wind project is not performing optimally by analyzing the number of downtime events, their duration, and the time intervals between them. It provides insights into which turbines or subsystems are causing the most downtime and energy losses. Downtime analysis empowers wind farm operators to take corrective actions, implement maintenance strategies, and enhance overall operational efficiency. SgurrEnergy’s downtime analysis service aids in identifying the root causes of downtime events and quantifying how they affect the overall performance of the power plant under contractual
II. Icing Detection and Quantification: Icing detection and quantification involve using SCADA data to identify and measure the impact of ice accumulation on wind turbine performance. This service utilizes various methodologies, including power curve thresholds, temperature thresholds, and duration thresholds, to detect icing events. By analyzing SCADA data, these methodologies determine when ice is accumulating on the turbine blades and impacting power generation. Accurate detection and quantification of icing losses help wind farm operators understand the extent of energy production reduction due to icing and implement strategies to mitigate its effects. SgurrEnergy’s icing detection and quantification service uses advanced methods to assess the impact of icing on turbine performance.
III. Gap Analysis: Gap analysis involves assessing the discrepancies between expected and actual performance based on SCADA data. This service identifies gaps in energy generation, downtime occurrences, underperformance of wind turbines and other performance metrics. By comparing operational data against expected benchmarks, wind farm operators can identify areas of improvement and implement strategies to bridge these gaps. Gap analysis helps optimize overall wind farm performance by identifying specific areas that need attention. SgurrEnergy’s gap analysis service utilizes SCADA data to identify and address performance gaps, so as to implement mitigation measures if necessary in order to improve the overall productivity of the wind farm.
3. Repowering and Decommissioning Services
Repowering Services: The process of updating redundant wind turbines in a wind farm that has reached the end of the life of its intended service lifetime is called “wind repowering”. SgurrEnergy experts provide repowering consultancy services in the following two formats:
I. Full repowering: In full repowering, the existing turbines are dismantled, making way for the installation of new, cutting-edge wind turbines. Typically, full repowering leads to a boost in generating capacity without requiring additional land space, offering a comprehensive solution for enhanced wind farm performance and efficiency.
II. Partial Repowering: Partial repowering, also referred to as “lifetime extension” involves upgrading specific components, such as generators, within the existing turbines. SgurrEnergy will help you identify the specific components that require lifetime extension after carefully analysing the components physically or by analysing the performance of these devices over the lifetime. These include components like noise and vibration assessment and mitigation advice.
Decommissioning Services: Restoration of land to the previous condition and disposing or reusing turbine components requires meticulous planning. SgurrEnergy has tailor-made services for meeting this purpose, some of the major services include:
– Development of decommissioning plans
– Conducting financial due diligence
– Reviewing the legal framework
– Implementing strategies to mitigate environmental impacts
– Engaging with stakeholders in the community
– Assessing and reviewing land contracts
– Transportation and recycling strategies
– Land restoration strategies including roads
4. Due Diligence
Effective evaluation of the economic feasibility of ongoing or prospective projects necessitates a thorough due diligence process. Sgurr’s proficiency spans all crucial facets for a comprehensive 360-degree due diligence, encompassing:
- Wind resource measurements and validation: The service involves conducting comprehensive wind resource assessments at the project site using met mast or another source of data such as LIDAR to accurately measure wind speeds, directions, and other meteorological parameters. Also, Sgurr’s aggressive Validation checks ensure that the data is accurate and reliable. Only the validated data forms the basis for our energy yield model and turbine performance evaluations.
- Technology review and adherence to IEC standards: SgurrEnergy will conduct a thorough review of the wind turbine technology to assess its design, components, and functionalities. Wind turbine OEM’s Adherence to relevant International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC-61400) standards is verified to ensure that the technology meets industry requirements for safety, performance, and reliability.
- As-built energy yields: Under this service, we will be assessing the as-built drawing and designs to implement an energy prediction model that will match with the actual generation on site. By implementing an energy prediction model based on these as-built specifications, any disparities or deviations between predicted and actual energy generation can be identified. This assessment is crucial for recognizing discrepancies and taking appropriate actions to address and mitigate these deviations, ensuring that the wind farm’s performance aligns with expectations.
- Loss analysis: Loss analysis evaluates the factors contributing to energy losses in a wind farm, considering aspects like downtime, wake effects, curtailment, and other operational inefficiencies. This assessment aids in optimizing the projects performance and report where the actual inefficiencies are occurring during the operation of the plant.
- Certification status: Certification status checks ensure that the installed wind turbines meet required standards and comply with national and local regulations.
- In-depth document review: This service involves a comprehensive evaluation of various contractual and documentation aspects of the wind farm project. It includes reviewing sales agreements, warranties, contracts for operation and maintenance (O&M), engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC), as-built drawings, project schedules, health and safety records, and maintenance logs.
- Power curve assessment: Site suitability assessments consider factors like terrain, extreme wind conditions, and turbulence intensity measurements to determine if the chosen turbine models are appropriate for the specific location according to the IEC 61400-1 class standards.
- Operational performance analysis: Operational performance analysis involves assessment of the wind farm’s performance on the basis of the generation data on site (SCADA). This includes evaluating factors like wind measurements, energy production, Vibration analysis, downtime, availability, gap analysis to ensure the project is meeting its operational targets over the evaluated period of time.
- Site visit assessment: Site visit assessments involve on-site inspections to validate the condition of wind turbine components, infrastructure, and other project elements. These assessments provide real-time insights into the projects status and help identify maintenance needs or potential issues. Sgurr has a dedicated team for carrying out site visit inspections so as to ensure that the project deliverables will not be hindered due to timeline-based constraints.
- Review of project schedules: In case, the project is still under construction SgurrEnergy will provide an assessment of the feasibility of the construction timeline and essential project milestones such as permitting, installation, and commissioning.
5 . Owner’s Engineering Services
Sgurr’s Owner’s Engineering services comprise a range of tailored and specialized solutions designed to cater to the requirements of project owners and investors within the wind energy industry. These services offer extensive assistance across various domains, including:
- Project Development Support: Providing guidance and expertise during the initial stages of project development to ensure effective planning and execution.
- Construction Monitoring: Overseeing construction activities to ensure adherence to design specifications, safety standards, and project timelines.
- Design and Engineering Review: Thoroughly evaluating project designs and engineering plans to guarantee their compliance with industry standards and optimal functionality.
- Contract Management: Managing contractual agreements, negotiations, and interactions with contractors, suppliers, and stakeholders to ensure seamless project execution.
- Quality Assurance and Control: Implementing rigorous quality checks and controls at various stages of the project lifecycle to uphold high standards of performance and reliability.
- Project Management: Offering comprehensive project management services to streamline tasks, monitor progress, and navigate potential challenges effectively.
- Commissioning Support: Facilitating the successful commissioning of the wind energy project by overseeing testing, validation, and integration of components.
- Technical Due Diligence: Conducting in-depth technical assessments to evaluate project feasibility, identify risks, and ensure alignment with industry best practices.
- Operational Performance Analysis: Continuously monitoring and analyzing the operational performance of the wind farm to optimize energy generation and identify areas for improvement.
- Health, Safety, and Environmental Compliance: Ensuring that the project adheres to stringent health, safety, and environmental regulations, promoting responsible and sustainable operations.
Through these diverse services, Sgurr’s Owner’s Engineering expertise is aimed at supporting the holistic success of wind energy projects by providing meticulous oversight, strategic guidance, and technical insights throughout their lifecycle.
6.Optimization of On-shore and Off-Shore wind farms
SgurrEnergy offers an array of wind monitoring solutions, encompassing meteorological masts and cutting-edge remote sensing technology. These services are designed to evaluate the wind energy potential at potential locations. Additionally, SgurrEnergy provides expertise in civil and geotechnical engineering as well as electrical engineering. Our role extends to serving as a technical consultant at any phase of the onshore wind project.
Furthermore, SgurrEnergy stands as one of the global advisors with international recognition, offering due diligence services to financial institutions and investment firms that are investing in onshore wind projects.
SgurrEnergy delivers a comprehensive package of consultancy and implementation services covering the entire project lifecycle of wind development:
- On-site inspection: Our in-house experts will visit the prospective wind project site to understand the terrain features, vegetation, infrastructure and societal constraints to shortlist locations that should be excluded during the initial micro-siting phase.
- Layout optimization: Traditional micro-siting techniques use flow modelling over the terrain and finding the areas with maximum wind potential. However, such placement of turbine locations does not take into consideration other factors such as roads, cabling length, wake losses etc. To mitigate such factors, SgurrEnergy employs computationally intensive scientific optimization techniques to find the optimal turbine location that results in extracting maximum financial gains and minimal losses.
- Active Control Optimization: While an optimal layout can alleviate wake losses to a certain extent, residual losses may still persist. To effectively curb these losses, SgurrEnergy implements scientific yaw control optimization. This innovative approach enables us to strategically adjust the yaw angles of individual wind turbines within the wind farm, redirecting their wakes for the purpose of maximizing energy generation.
- Structural load optimization: In addition to the normal Layout optimization, SgurrEnergy gives critical importance to safeguarding the turbines from excessive loading that could potentially compromise the integrity of their components. On clients requests, our services on layout optimization can be expanded to include Damage equivalent load computation on the turbine structures so as to find the locations that minimize them and enhance the durability of the wind turbines.
- Exclusion Zone Optimization: Incorporating insights from our on-site engineering experts, SgurrEnergy identifies land parcels necessitating exclusion due to external limitations such as shoreline etc. When embarking on layout optimization, these designated land parcels serve as vital inputs, enabling the exclusion of these areas to pinpoint the optimal turbine placements in the remaining land parcel available for the prospective wind farm.
- Capacity Optimization: Within SgurrEnergy’s approach, we embrace an iterative simulation methodology to ascertain the requisite number of turbines capable of meeting the minimum Capacity Utilization Factor (CUF) standards or any other standards set either by developers or legal stipulations. This process is equally applicable when determining the appropriate scale of wind turbines for hybrid projects. Our focus extends to achieving both the Minimal Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE) and the projected CUF. Through this intricate simulation procedure, we consistently strive to achieve the optimal balance between capacity, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness, resulting in the most advantageous outcomes for wind energy projects.